Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Tossing Christmas Cookies

I know, I know. You've just spent the last two days elbow-deep in fudge, cookie dough, and pie filling. Your fingers are sticky and your tongue is raw. Your Christmas Card display is full and you cringe at the stragglers being delivered this close to go-day. You count and recount the cards you didn't send out this year, and lie to yourself about using them next year. I know. Me too. Last night, I had to drink a bottle of peppermint extract to offset the negative digestion happening after a second fudge square and fifteenth Double-Chocolate-Chip-and-Walnut cookie somehow made it's way to my stomach. I've made arts and crafts with last year's Christmas cards, barely making a dent, and I am currently on my treadmill looking for ways to offload some more of this sugary holiday cheer.

But let's not be hasty. Between the sugar frenzy and the explosion of paper, it's easy to get caught up and forget what's really important. Let's just take a deep breath, down a gallon of water, and try not to do anything too stupid this year, like puke in Santa's boots(it's okay Uncle Henry, they washed out).

For instance...

There is an event going around Facebook right now encouraging people to take cookies and cards to their local police department for the holidays.

I live in St. Louis(well... just outside).

To me, this is like the NRA setting up a rally in a town recently hit with a mass murder.

Why aren't we being urged to take our cookies and cards to the local Fire Departments and Emergency Rooms? They protect and save lives too(even when you are rushed there for stupidly trying to have a little hot cocoa with your cup of marshmallows, or trying to roast chestnuts on an open fire).

Maybe it's because the FD and EMTs weren't recently in the news for shooting an unarmed man.

Quite frankly, this ill-timed outpour of support for the PD makes me want to puke(and it has nothing to do with that chocolate covered double stuff I had for breakfast!!). I think we should be just a little more mindful of what our support says to society as a whole and not just throw it around loosely.

There are HUNDREDS of people who have made careers of giving up holidays to help/save/protect people. Why not bring them some holiday cheer? And like parents with a child, what's wrong with showing support for positive behavior and refusing to reward negative outcomes?

(Or ignoring the little bastards and hoping they go away...)

I'm going to do what I do every year, and that is to guzzle some Southern Comfort and give cookies to the mail person and trash collectors(maybe not in that order), because with out them, my Christmas just wouldn't happen, or it would, but afterward I'd be forced to eat a pile of wrapping paper. Talk about negative digestion.

So, please, this holiday season, be careful where you toss your cookies,
And have a Happy Holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment