Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Salad Spinners

I have a ranch problem.

I LOVE ranch dressing. I love homemade ranch, restaurant ranch, hidden valley ranch, etc. If it is dressing and it is ranch, I'm in love.

It's not that I haven't tried other dressings. I have. I have liked other dressings, bought other dressings and finished entire bottles of other dressings. I have a special place in my heart for a certain strawberry poppyseed dressing over a dried-cranberry, feta cheese, and spinach salad, but when I'm not trying to broaden my horizons or break the monotony, it's ranch every time.

So what's the problem?

The one thing I have always disliked about most dressings, especially ranch, was their inability to spread evenly over a salad. You really need to maintain a nice dressing to veggie ratio in every bite, or else why not just have a granola bar? Ya' know? Even the most yummy of vinaigrettes can go from "does not compute" to "sensory overload" with one tip of the bottle. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

The only solution I've found is water. Even though I now eat all organic veggies, I still rinse my lettuce. I don't know why. Part of me assumes that this has been done for me, but the other part of me assumes that some sort of chrysanthemum extract may be used to deter insect consumption and I don't imagine that chrysanthemum juice mixes well with tomatoes and cucumbers.

But whenever I have a salad with fellow enthusiasts, it's always, "Gosh-golly-gee-wiz! No salad spinner?!" I shamefully and rigorously shake my lettuce off, and assuming they do not like the watered down version of their dressing, I apologize profusely.

Well not anymore! I "don't need no stinkin'" salad spinners!

I'm not protesting anything here. I just wanted you to know that it's okay to eat a salad without a salad spinner. Watered down ranch is really good and good for you!

There is probably some life lesson I could infuse this with, but I'm not the crispiest crouton this week.

<insert inspiration>
Eat your veggies!
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment